Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Landing

      On a Saturday in July of 2010, I was on a Delta airlines flight from Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport to Toronto's Lester B. Pearson International Airport. Up until around 20 minutes before landing, the flight was uneventful, apart from an interesting part where the plane was around eight feet above a solid bed of white clouds, which made me feel as though the aircraft was cruising at eight feet above the ground, when it was actually 35,000 feet!
      But now onto the main event, which was rather, well, nerve-racking. The plane had been flying over one of the great lakes when I looked ahead through my little window and saw a horrid thing ahead: a massive wall of dark purple clouds. I had my fingers crossed all the way to it but luckily, the pilot turned the plane around the wall, which meant that it would be bad for a small CRJ-900 aircraft, the one I was in, to enter the cloud bank.
      While the plane was descending towards Pearson, I was staring out the window, looking at the clouds. I then saw one small cloud ahead of the plane, just a dinky little cloud, and just before we entered the cloud, I jokingly said to my Dad " here we go!" Then WHAM! The plane was smashed by a burst of wind and dropped a fair bit, around 50-70 feet. People cried out and I had my fingers wrapped around the armrests so hard that my knuckles whitened. I knew of an accident that had happened at the same airport that had occurred in August of 2005 with Air France flight 358. The accident had happened under similar whether conditions when the plane landed on the wet runway and crashed off the end of the runway. No one was killed in this accident. But I was scared stiff. I had suspicions that the plane had hit a small microburst, which is a powerful but brief downdraft of air that had brought down several aircraft in previous years. I had my fingers crossed that we wouldn't hit another one. One was bad enough!
      But nothing happened for the rest of the flight and we landed safely. But I was very shaken from the incident.
      I really hope that nothing like that ever happens to me on an airplane ever again. But funnily enough, on a larger plane, like a Boeing 737 and larger, I would have probably not have felt that bump!
     So for now, goodbye! See you next time!

2 comments:

  1. I liked the way you have described your experience in the flight with all those details. But you could have been courageous to overcome the fear of landing in that condition.

    ReplyDelete